Some of McCain’s fans defend him with the ludicrous arguments: “John McCain is a hero”, “he’s an honorable man”, “he’s been morally tested by Vietnamese torturers”, etc.
But they’re wrong. John McCain is not a hero, nor an honorable man, nor a good man. He’s an immoral political player.
1) John McCain cheated to get to the US Naval Academy. McCain’s high school grades were so bad that he did not qualify for a nomination to any service academy. McCain used his father to get to the Academy. The children of admirals were allowed to study at the Academy regardless of their HS grades.
2) McCain cheated to get to the USN pilot school. McCain’s Academy grades were very low. He graduated 894th as a member of a class of 899 cadets. He did not qualify for the Pilot School (only the best students are allowed to join it), so his father intervened so that the Pilot School would accept McCain.
3) When John McCain was captured, he acted as “a Vietnamese songbird”, according to the Vietnam Veterans Against John McCain group. He revealed military secrets after the Viets promised to take him to a hospital.
4) McCain claims he was a footsoldier during the Reagan Revolution. The fact is that he OPPOSED Reagan’s policies. For example, in 1990, one year after Reagan retired from the White House, McCain voted (together with the Dems) to severely reduce spending on the SDI. In 1993, the SDI program was killed by the Clinton Administration.
5) During the 1980s and the 1990s, John McCain rejected evidence indicating that there were still American POWs in Vietnam and refused to intervene for them. McCain even punched a disabled relative of one of these POWs after leaving a Senate room. McCain shouted angrily at the families of the POWs and at POW liberation advocates during the hearings.
6) McCain was the RINGLEADER of the Keating Five, i.e. the perpetrator of the Keating Five scandal, which cost American taxpayers 160 billion dollars. Charles Keating thus enriched himself with taxpayers’ money. McCain was never punished. The Senate merely reprimanded him. The Senate should’ve expelled him to enable a prosecutor to arrest and prosecute McCain. John McCain belongs in jail, not in the Senate.
7) During the 2000 presidential campaign, McCain falsely called Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell “agents of intolerance”.
8) During the 2000 presidential election, while speaking to anti-Reagan media, McCain insulted Ronald Reagan by making a cracked joke about people afflicted with Alzheimer’s disease. McCain KNEW that Reagan was afflicted with that disease, and KNEW that the media to whom he was pandering hated Ronald Reagan.
9) In 2002, McCain and his buddy Russ Feingold authored the McCain-Feingold Act (“the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act”), which President Bush signed. This Act is a law designed to protect corrupt incumbent lawmakers (such as John McCain) from competitors. A large part of this Act was recently declared unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.
John McCain is not a hero nor an honorable man. Period.